Wednesday, April 10, 2013

And away she goes!

Hello there!

Welcome!

I'm Granny. I'm also known as Pam or Meme to my Dearhearts. I love to crochet. If you've seen me on Facebook or Ravelry you're well aware of that!

I always, always, always have some yarny goodness going around here. Sometimes I'm designing a pattern. Sometimes I'm making something cute for my grandbabies. Sometimes I'm testing a pattern out for another crafty friend. I don't know what I'd do without yarn and a hook nearby.

Anyway, I love to share all sorts of crocheted items -- stuff I make and stuff I see that other people have made that tickle me -- and thought I'd create a space where all of those lovelies could live together.

First things first. Where did I get started on this adventure?

Well, I was taught to crochet when a child by a babysitter by the name of Vicky. I quit and forgot it all really until my first child was born in 1984. My mother in love taught me again and she was a stickler for gauge and tension. Days and weeks were spent making chains consistent then SC same way. Then how to read a pattern...my first completed project was a giant granny blanket for my mama. The second was a clown for my son's first birthday.

Almost 29 years later it is still my favorite art form.

So enough about me...

I'd love to know a little about you. How did you come to find  me? Do you crochet? How did you learn?

So nice to meet you!
Granny

7 comments:

  1. Congrats Granny/Meme/Pam!

    I'm so excited about your new blog. You make such gorgeous things!!

    I first got started with a skein of yellow yarn and two needles that my Aunt Edna gave me. Once I completely knotted that yarn (as in knot not as in knit) into a spaghetti mess, I thought my yarn days were over.

    At some point later -- when I was about 6 years old -- my mother handed me a skein of pink, white, and blue acrylic and hook and taught me to chain. I chained and unchained that skein of yarn for a while. Then I figured out how to do a single crochet. My turns were pretty interesting. I crocheted and ripped that skein of yarn about 200 times.

    Once I started babysitting, I was able to buy more yarn. It's been ever-present ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gina, you have been a blessing in so many ways! So glad you are here!

      Delete
    2. You're so welcome!

      Enjoy your fun new blog! Can't wait to see what you fill it with.

      Delete
  2. Hi...When I was a student in xray technology school, one of the technologists taught me how to make a daisy and then join the daisies together by making chains around them to make them squares. So, it was sorta like braiding them together...but not exactly. LOL I was 18 years old. My daddy went to the grocery store and came home with a magazine titled "Woman's Day Book of Granny Squares". I sat with a hook and some yarn and taught myself to read patterns and would make squares and then rip them out and start over. I finally wore that yarn out. LOL So, now it's been 38 years and I'm still crocheting. I love it and it helps pass the time, keep my hands busy, and my mind sharp. I saw your Facebook page and from that, found your blog today. I'm eager to see what you do next. :)

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to get this baby crawling! Loving the process of learning how to share as much as the crocheting right now! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Love the fact that you are doing a blog. I follow your page on Facebook and I think this will be just a wonderful addition. I love to crochet and do counted cross stitch, although right now things are slow because I'm having some problems with my shoulders and right hand. I have RA and damage to my left shoulder and right wrist but I muddle through as much as I can. Welcome, welcome to blog world.

    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Sharon! So sorry for the having to muddle through. I have such a passion that I often do wwaaayyy too much and then my fingers and arms decide to take a vacation. Those hand vacation drive me crazy. Welcome to my crafty heaven.
    Hugs,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. It might take a bit for your comment to show up.