Saturday, January 18, 2014

Sisters3

This is a post of courage and love and pain and hope. But mostly about love. Let's start at the beginning...I am blessed to be the oldest child in a group of 4, 3 girls and 1 boy stuck between us. Now don't misunderstand, I do love my brother but this is a story of sisters. Debbie was a charmer, a rebel, a dreamer, a mama, always. Debbie gave her all in everything she did. Debbie was diagnosed formally in May of 2012. It was an ugly diagnosis and an unfair one and a cruel one and a heart wrenching one. Cancer...full blown...horrible grotesque mean cancer. So I counted and kept track of just how many days I had already had to love her. I'm still keeping track, because I didn't stop loving her the day she died. However, 16,833.5 days was all I got to hold her, laugh with and at her, yell at her, be yelled at by her, be mad...most importantly to love on her.

We are at 16,834.5 days now and I miss her. I cut her curls off when we were little...I wanted them. I got spanked and still had straight hair. We shared arguments over tv shows to the point that designated days were assigned and it didn't matter if they were continued...and I still miss her.

We 3 worked together most of our adult lives. We were each bosses and employees to each other. We even kept it a secret so we COULD work together. We were good at it! When my wasband died they came and cried with me and his children. When we celebrated it was together...when we mourned it was together...when you hurt one you hurt three. But if you loved one you also had no choice but to love three and be loved back times three. We mothered our children together, there are 13 babies and 6 spouses and 12 grand babies who had 3 mamas!

Debbie got sick and there were two helpers always faithfully holding her hand. Amy was her chauffeur, caregiver, and knew everything she had to know to get through this. She's a rock, a force to be reckoned with! We made us some glorious memories to sustain us! We had slumber parties. We had the why sessions and we had the honor of sharing the ugliest cruelest moments, too. In their own way, they too, were beautiful. Amy and I were with her until her shell left and she placed herself inside our hearts so that we wouldn't feel empty. That was a gift that I will gladly accept. I will never be whole again but I will continue to breathe and act out of kindness and love because I had her by my side for 16,833.5 days and in my heart for eternity.

Live people, really wholly completely live. Love, hope, dream, believe. Never leave anything unsaid or undone when you love love all the way. It's our greatest gift!

23 comments:

  1. I type this comment with tears rolling down my cheeks and a smile in my heart. Through your words the love for your sister/s pours off the page. You are right we should love and love and love some more. My heart, love, and prayers go out to you and yours as you take this journey through grief and healing. Blog and knot through out the process we are here to listen, and love <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no words except how beautifully said. And now I just have tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl, sorry about the tears, we've shed so many lately. <3

      Delete
  3. I have no words except how beautifully said. And now I just have tears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who is blessed to love all 3 of your & always will, I cannot tell you how proud I am of you & Amy for loving Debbie through all of this.
    You all were truly her Angels & she is blessed to have you both to love her through her whole life.
    I love you & I am always praying for you.
    <3
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sad, but very beautiful your love and dedication to each other. Love, hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. I am so blessed to have been given the opportunity to love her and be loved by her. <3

      Delete
  6. Oh, Pam.....the truths you write make my heart swell even more for the brother I lost. It is still so painful for me as I remember losing my only sibling, but I know he loved me and I, him and nothing could change that. I know that nothing can change the love you sisters have.....and that will get you through this. Much love, Ellen....xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day at a time and sometimes it is truly moments. I am sure that I have my memories and my baby sister and the ache will dull but today...not so much. <3

      Delete
  7. Sending lots of love & prayers your way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sad, but beautiful too. Love, hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel all your pain; and I am with you in my heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please feel my joy, too. There is so much time wasted in our lives because we think we have tomorrow. If we didn't get tomorrow...love out loud sister!

      Delete
  10. I am amazed how with so many miles between us, I can feel the love and warmth of your heart. I am so very sorry for your loss. Bless you all, much love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, sorry I am just seeing this today but maybe I needed to see it just today. Love is the best warmest happiest gift there is...giving it away just gives you more. <3

      Delete
  11. I have no words...just tears. Sisters are wonderful. Love conquers all. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love does conquer all! Wipe those tears! There's joy all around us! <3

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. It might take a bit for your comment to show up.